Header Ads

Is Jake Paul actually a jerk, or does he just play one on TV?

Jake Paul doesn't care if you don't like him. In fact, he wants you to hate him.

The 24-year-old was once a social media darling, the puckish younger brother of Logan Paul, one of the most-followed YouTubers in the world. He booked a starring role in the Disney series "Bizaardvark," which put him on track to be a family-friendly teen star. (His co-star, Olivia Rodrigo, is now the biggest pop star on planet earth.)

But the Disney life never felt quite right to Jake, who has always felt like more of a class clown than a class president. Soon enough, Jake and Logan made videos that led to scandal after scandal – and ensured Disney would go nowhere near them for a very long time.

You might have thought that would be the end of the road, that the Paul brothers were just a fleeting social media fad. But then you would be misunderstanding social media fame. Some celebrities are afraid to offend anyone lest it hurt their sales. It's why Michael Jordan never went political.

But in the modern media climate, any kind of attention – positive or negative – begets more attention. Jake and Logan have an audience that would follow them anywhere, and so they just needed a new outlet and a new way to make money.

They found one in boxing. The two of them are now two of the most in-demand fighters in the world. I wrote a piece on their boxing exploits ahead of Logan's fight with Floyd Mayweather Sunday night. But I wanted to share a longer conversation I had with Jake, which I found revealing on many levels. It gives a glimpse at how a young social media star goes about his career and how fame has warped his perception of reality. (Like most of our Q&As, this conversation has been condensed and edited.)

If you aren't into it, you can scroll down for more on the week in Hollyweird.  

Why did you decide to move to Puerto Rico?

I've always wanted to. Me and my brother have always talked about it. We have a couple friends down here who've talked about Dorado East. It's this beautiful country-club neighborhood with all the amenities you could ask for. You drive around on golf carts, have a private beach, basketball courts and a gym. It's peaceful. You can escape the craziness of Los Angeles.

I was thinking about moving to Miami. I was down there. But it becomes a distraction. I'm at a period in my life where all I need to do is focus on boxing.

Why did you decide to become a boxer?

I've been competitive my whole life. I grew up wrestling and playing football. Playing lacrosse. Baseball. Pretty much any sport. When I moved out to L.A. I was acting and making YouTube videos, crushing the game. But I was a bit tired of it and wanted something different.

All these YouTubers started calling each other out and saying they wanted to fight each other. There were these two brothers from England who started talking with me and my brother. I was like, "You fight the older one, I'll fight the younger one." A couple days later we have a signed contract to do a boxing match in Manchester, England.

You'd never boxed before. How did you prepare?

We started working with a couple different coaches. We locked down a coach named Milton who was notorious for creating amazing fighters in three-month periods. It was the hardest three months of my life. He was throwing us in there with pro boxers sparring every single day. I'd wake up barely able to walk.

How did you enjoy your first fight experience?

It's such an art, and I'm an artist. It's a game, a chess match. Being able to use my body to outperform someone and outthink them. It's literally something I fell in love with.

I love the feeling of cracking people in the face or the body. A lot of people have always doubted me. I've always been this underdog character. When I get in the ring, I'm in control.

Where does that underdog mentality come from?

My whole life I was the odd kid out. Maybe the person who didn't fit in with everyone else. Or the class clown. I always knew there was more for me in life. I was basically famous from the time I was 13 or 14 years old.

How did being famous at such a young age affect you?

It's given me so much knowledge. I'm 24 years old but I feel like I'm 45. I've already accomplished things that 99% of 45-year-olds haven't and never will. It's been a rough journey. A crazy ride. Lots of ups and downs. It's sharpened me into this very smart, young, hustling businessman/entrepreneur who can control the narrative of what people think about me. I used my knowledge of marketing better than almost anyone in the world.

I've lived a couple lifetimes already. But I'm the furthest thing from normal. Sometimes I just want to go to the grocery store because I never do.

Who is the core Jake Paul fan?

The 14-to-28-year-old male who loves fighting and trolling.

You've talked about being a villainous character. Is that just marketing?

It's 50-50. It's based in a ton of truth. I've always been that class clown. That's why I nicknamed myself "The Problem Child." I ruffle people's feathers. You either love me or hate me. Now, with boxing, I'm leaning more into it. I can turn it on and turn it off. I have a good heart. Anyone around me knows that. It's all a game. It's show business. There's a way to play it.

Is boxing the perfect outlet for this?

110%. I truly believe I was birthed by my mother 24 years ago to box. It took me a bit to find my calling. But everything about it fits me perfectly.

How long do you see yourself boxing?

For the next 3 to 5 years. It's not just a stunt. People will soon start to realize that. I've said from day one that I want to fight Conor McGregor. That's the goal. Not only do I want to fight him, I'm going to beat him. After I beat McGregor, there won't be much left for me to do.

If you fought McGregor would you box or do MMA?

I would box. I only want to box.

Do you make more from boxing or from YouTube/Instagram?

I make way more from boxing.

Do you still consider yourself a YouTuber?

No. I do that stuff. But I don't know when the last time I posted something on YouTube was. But I can tell you the last time I trained and that was this morning. I'm waking up training every single day. Sometimes twice a day. Even in the offseason.

The thought of making a YouTube video doesn't cross my mind. I do it to promote my brand. I'm not a social media influencer anymore.

What's your current training regimen?

A lot of the offseason stuff is staying sharp. Shadow boxing rounds on rounds, hitting mitts. Strength and conditioning to build my base up. Jogging five to six miles. Sometimes, I'll throw in a fun hike. In camp, it's a lot more sparring and high-intensity workouts. Circuits. Sprinting.

How have boxers responded to you? It seems like some love it and others hate it?

It's been a 50-50 reaction. I like to focus on the positive and the people like Mike Tyson supporting me, saying it's the future and that we basically saved boxing. People like Oscar De La Hoya coming into my locker room saying "What you are doing is amazing." It's just growing fighting as a whole.

Your first fight was on DAZN. Then Triller. Now Showtime. Do you have a preference?

They will watch me wherever I fight. That's proven to be true. As long as I have a fight partner who lets me be creative with how the show and operation is run.

What have you been doing?

Snoop Dogg commentating is a whole other draw. Prank-calling my opponent. I am trying to bring a different element to boxing where anyone can turn on the TV and enjoy the show instead of six cards back to back to back of 12-round fights. My mom wouldn't be able to watch that.

Who are your role models?

Only a couple people I could really relate to. One of them is The Rock.

What criticism of you is fair?

I've made a lot of stupid mistakes, and I've made myself look like an idiot many times. At many points in my career I've had too large of an ego. I thought I was untouchable. At 18, 19 years old, I was making millions and getting all these followers. I was immature with the way I acted.

In your recent press conference, why did you take Floyd Mayweather's hat?

Great question. We're at the press conference, and it's him versus my brother. This guy just starts to talk s--- to me. I wasn't able to defend him. I didn't have a microphone.

I just saw his hat. I came over and said I'm going to take it, this is going to be hilarious. It was as simple as that. It's such a troll. I knew it would get underneath his skin. It was something everyone would pick up and post across the whole entire internet. — Lucas Shaw

The best of Screentime (and other stuff)

Kevin Durant and (Possibly) the Greatest Basketball Team of All Time
Sam Anderson is one of the best profile writers working today.
What Happened When Evanston Became America's First City to Promise Reparations
A great piece from my colleagues Susan Berfield and Jordyn Holman.
Naomi Osaka and the Power of 'Nope'
Probably the best take I read on the Osaka affair.
The Afghan Fathers Braving Beatings to Reach Family in Croatia
My cousin Lucy Papachristou reports on immigration trouble at the Croatia-Bosnia border.

What the **** is happening with AMC?

Last year, AMC Entertainment was an indebted movie-theater chain unable to make any money during the pandemic. Its market capitalization sank as low as $500 million. It also neared bankruptcy but staved it off.

In the past week, AMC is worth about $31 billion, more than Delta Air Lines and Tyson Foods.  

What's changed about AMC? Theaters reopened, and not much else. The domestic movie business is still in recovery mode, and expected to contract in the years ahead.

But that doesn't matter to many of the traders jumping into AMC, which is the new king of the meme stock.

While most financial commentators agree that the stock has detached itself from traditional investment fundamentals, they are less sure of the reason. Some cite an abundance of liquidity and savings created during the pandemic, while others point to the impact of social media in providing a platform for small investors to egg each other on.

"Of course their valuation is disconnected from fundamentals, the prices are more a reflection of the impact of social media," said Sylvain Goyon, a strategist at Oddo. 

It remains to be seen if any of these people buying AMC stock get rich, but we do know two parties that benefit: AMC and Mudrick Capital.

AMC capitalized on this frenzy by selling additional shares and raising money it can use to acquire companies. (Lest you worry the stock is overvalued, it is offering anyone who buys stock free popcorn!) Independent movie theaters are hurting the most because of the pandemic, and this retail trading frenzy means AMC can go bargain shopping.

And then there's Mudrick Capital, which was able to buy $230 million worth of AMC shares at one price, and turn around and sell them for a whole lot more. Sure, it missed out on even more money when the stock kept going up. But it got out before the inevitable fall.

YouTube's $4 Billion Pledge

YouTube said it paid music rights-holders $4 billion over the past 12 months, a number that underscores the growth of its paid music service.

YouTube has tried for years to get people to pay for its service in some way. The promises were tantalizing. If just 5% of YouTube's 2 billion users paid for the service, it would bring in billions of dollars. But it was always hard to get people to pay for something they got for free.

Well YouTube finally figured it out. I've seen estimates that YouTube generates as much as $5 billion a year in subscription revenue (on top of the $20 billion or so in advertising revenue).

This explains why music companies don't complain much about YouTube anymore. Record labels and publishers used to love attacking YouTube as a pirate that got rich off its work. They still don't looooove YouTube, which functions as a free music service for hundreds of millions of people. But they don't hate it anymore.

'F9' stumbles in China

Ticket sales for the latest 'Fast and Furious' movie slipped 85% in China in week two, a troubling sign for Universal and potentially for all of Hollywood.

You could blame the decline on the poor reviews for the movie. Or you could blame it on the scandal involving John Cena. Or you could imagine something even more sinister at play. No matter what, this is bad news for a movie that is a bellwether for all Hollywood movies in China.

"The Fate of the Furious" grossed $393 million in China. But since its release, Hollywood movies have been losing share to local titles. The underperformance of this sequel doesn't bode well for other films.

Deals, deals, deals

Bill Ackman is in talks to merge his $4 billion SPAC with Universal Music Group, the world's largest music company. If a deal happens, it would help establish the valuation of UMG north of $40 billion ahead of a planned IPO later this year. Universal is currently owned by the French media conglomerate Vivendi SA.

Universal is far and away the largest and most powerful music company around. It's home to Taylor Swift, Drake, Kanye West, Billie EIlish and on and on and on.

Also in music deals...

  • French music company Believe initiated a planned IPO that would raise $300 million. Believe is one of the largest companies that offers distribution and services to artists who still want to own their own music.

Weekly playlist

Bill Simmons devoting his podcast to almost daily reactions to the NBA playoffs is exactly what I want right now. It's also the clearest sign yet that he's morphed into a talk-radio host.

Also, my cousin turned me on to Mexican singer-songwriter Julieta Venegas.

 

 

Like the Screentime newsletter? Get unlimited access to Bloomberg.com, where you'll find trusted, data-based journalism in 120 countries around the world and expert analysis from exclusive daily newsletters.

Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal. Find out more about how the Terminal delivers information and analysis that financial professionals can't find anywhere else. Learn more.

 

No comments